Gift Aid

The Friends of Mellor Primary has charitable status, which means that school can take advantage of Gift Aid tax reclaims.

Did you know that if you are a UK taxpayer you could add 28p to every £1 that you give to school through Friends of Mellor (at no extra cost to yourself) by Gift Aiding it,

All you have to do is sign a form saying that you are a UK taxpayer and that the tax you pay is more than the amount the school will reclaim.

What is Gift Aid?

Gift Aid is an easy way to help school maximise the value of its donations, as we are able to claim tax from HM Revenue and Customs on its ‘gross equivalent’ – its value before tax was deducted at the basic rate.  This is 20% from 6th April 2008.

This means that for every £1 donated school can receive £1.28!

How do I sign up for Gift Aid?

All you have to do is to fill in a Gift Aid form (available from school) that requires you to:

  • Give your name, your address, the date and the name of the school.
  • Sign a declaration saying that you are a UK taxpayer and that you pay more tax than the amount that the school will reclaim.

How does Gift Aid work?

Once you have signed up for Gift Aid, school will need to complete a record of how much you have given.  For example, whenever school sets a ticket price for an event we will also be able to ask for a ‘suggested donation’, such as for the Friends of Mellor Christmas or Spring Fairs.  Donations are not compulsory and individuals can choose if they wish to give.  We are also able to arrange for donation only events such as the choir or music concerts where people can attend the events whatever they decide to donate.

What happens if I stop paying tax or move?

If you stop paying tax you must tell the school.  You must also tell the school if you change your address.

Can both parents give with Gift Aid?

Yes – if you both pay tax, you can both sign a Gift Aid form.  Please make sure that school knows who is giving what if, e.g. you pay by cheque and have a joint account.

What happens to higher rate taxpayers?

If you are a higher rate taxpayer, you too can benefit from tax relief and you can claim back the difference between the higher rate of tax at 40% and the basic rate at 20%.  So if £10 was donated, the gross donation to school would be £12.50, and you could claim £2.50 back (20% of £12.50).

Is Gift Aid confidential?

You don’t have to tell school how much you earn or give any other personal details.  School will keep records of donations confidential.  Just one declaration can apply to all donations made and it won’t cost you a penny!  It’s that simple


Further information is available at